Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Padres Dominican farmhand works on pitches and English

Padres minor league prospect Simon Castro is scheduled to open the season for the team's AAA affiliate the Tuscon Padres.  At 6 feet, 5 inches, Castro is an imposing physical specimen that could eventually see action at the front end of the Padres big league rotation.  Since coming to the minor leagues in 2006, the 22 year old Dominican has had to work on his pitching and his English skills.

Castro was listed as the Padres number three overall prospect by Baseball America, and could be ready for big league action toward the end of this season.  He has a career ERA of 3.88 and 447 strikeouts in 443 innings coming into this season.  Padres brass say he may need a little more time to develop.

And like most young Dominican prospects, he has had to work on his English too.  According to Castro:
"The teacher here taught me some things, and I get it from the guys. Everybody always helps me with the language. Anything I ask they tell me and let me know what it means, and that's how I learn."
Castro is from San Jose de los Llanos, DR, which is just outside the famed baseball town of San Pedro de Macoris.
Castro with the Tuscon Padres, by Phil Snyder on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...